We needed to acquire another steam locomotive as a back-up for the times when No 22 was out of service and so, on 7th May 1981, we took delivery of another 0-4-0 Barclay locomotive, virtually identical to No 22. This small Barclay design proved ideal for our needs and when “W.S.T.” became available we wasted no time in acquiring her for the railway.
One of the last steam locomotives built by Barclay’s (Work Number 2361 of 1954) she was delivered to the Long Meg works of the Long Meg Plaster and Mineral Co. Ltd. at Lazonby, near Carlisle, on 10th June 1954. The locomotive was named “W.S.T.” after Mr. William Steuart Trimble, the plaster company’s Deputy Chairman. As new it was a very sophisticated industrial loco., being fitted with a mechanical lubricator, water softening apparatus, a device for the removal of sludge from the boiler and water sprinklers for the wheels to help the loco round sharp curves. The engine was transferred to the company’s nearby Cocklake Works in 1969 as a spare engine to the diesels which had recently arrived. It remained out of use until 1980 when Cocklake‘s owners (now British Gypsum), sought a new home for her.The loco attracted considerable interest, and we were very pleased when the company agreed to place the loco on long-term loan to the railway.
The loco was fully overhauled at Springwell and repainted in her original olive green livery and re-entered traffic at Springwell in May 1983. Like No 22 she has proved to be ideal in traffic and has operated without problem.
British Gypsum (now part of Saint Gobain) very kindly signed ownership over to the Bowes Railway Trust in September 2008.