This narrow gauage (2’0″) locomotive was built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorne and delivered to Eppleton Colliery at Christmas, 1958. Later, the loco was moved to Murton Colliery before transfer to Seaham Training Centre in 1985.
The English Electric Standard 13 ton flameproof battery loco has an outstanding record of reliable service with British Coal. Initially developed as a single cab loco designated EM1, the two prototypes were so successful that both were still in service in the 1980s, over thirty years after they were introduced. With new regulations requiring locos over 10 tons to have a cab at each end, the EM1 was superseded by the EM2. This design remained in production for over twenty years.